If your dinner looks like a hot dog and smells like a hot dog, is it in fact a hot dog? At Baking Steel, we say, sure - why not?! Take a close look at the spread Chef Craig whipped up for us in the test kitchen…toasted buns, grill marks for days and toppings galore but the hot dogs….they are carrots! And spoiler alert, these vegan beauties are amazing!
- 6 Horse Carrots (peeled and ends rounded)
- 2 Tbsp Liquid Smoke
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 2 oz hot water
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 oz soy sauce (tamari is great too)
- 6 Hot Dog Buns
- Peel carrots and trim ends. Round the ends with a peeler to create that hot dog end!
- Combine all other ingredients and whisk together.
- Boil carrots for 10 minutes until barely fork tender. Drain. *Alternatively, sous vide your carrots at 185F for one hour. See step 5 for Sous vide ingredients.
- With a pairing knife or cake tester, poke 4-8 holes in each carrot.
- Vacuum seal the carrots in the liquid you mixed before hand for one hour or up to 2 days. (can soak them in liquid in a pyrex container if easier but turn them inside the dish every hour to evenly soak.)
- Heat your Baking Steel Griddle on high for 6-7 minutes. Remove the carrots from the liquid and pat dry.
- Cook until nice and charred around the dogs and warm inside. Serve in buns with your favorites condiments.
Other recipes you might like