Break out the goggles or prepare to cry it out while prepping this pizza: chopping all those onions and leeks may make you shed a tear or ten. But they’ll turn into tears of joy once you take your first bite, because flavor seekers will find that this allium-packed pie is pure pungent pizza perfection.
- 1 ball 72 hour pizza dough or your favorite dough
- 75 grams (3 ounces) sliced fontina cheese
- 50 grams (2 ounces, or about 1/4 cup) caramelized onions (recipe follows)
- 50 grams (2 ounces, or about 1/4 cup) chopped leeks
- 50 grams (2 ounces, or about 1/4 cup) thinly sliced red onion
- 12 grams (1 tablespoons) chopped chives
- 25 grams (1 ounce) parmigiano reggiano
- Preheat the Baking Steel in your oven for one hour at 500F. If you have convection, it's ok to use it.
- Stretch your dough into a 12 inch circle (oblong or oval is fine). Lightly flour your peel and place the dough on top.
- Set the oven to BROIL.
- Spread the sliced fontina evenly on top of the pizza, leaving about 1 inch around the perimeter for the crust. Evenly scatter the caramelized onions, red onion, and leeks on top.
- Use a generously floured pizza peel to launch your pizza onto the Baking Steel and bake under the broiler for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, open the oven and use your pizza peel to give the pizza a 180-degree turn. Turn off the broil setting but keep the oven at its highest temperature, and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese has attained your desired brownness.
- Use your pizza peel to remove the pie from the oven. Sprinkle with chopped chives and grate the parmigiano reggiano on top. Slice and serve.
Other recipes you might like